In this 10-session virtual workshop series (40 modular hours), participants will learn to create sophisticated VR applications through a project-based approach.
While utilizing Unity’s XR Interaction Toolkit, participants will develop a VR Design Visualization application in a collaborative learning environment consisting of Instructor-led Live Sessions, Instructor-guided Project Work and 1:1 Project Review Office Hours.
By the end of this training workshop, participants will have utilized their new understanding of VR interactions, locomotion, and user interfaces to create a polished final project.
Learning Objectives and Outcomes
- ● Configure Unity development environment and hardware in order to work on Virtual Reality-enabled (VR-enabled) projects.
- ● Design and implement interactions in VR using Unity’s XR Interaction Toolkit.
● Prepare, import, and configure assets in a manner that will support and enhance the Virtual Reality experience.
● Identify and apply best practices in VR in order to create experiences with comfort and usability in mind.
● Configure grab interactions using Ray/Direct Interactors and Interactables.
● Implement Locomotion in VR by creating VR Rigs with Teleportation Anchors and Providers.
● Create VR-friendly and intuitive user interface using world-space rendered Canvas UI elements and XRUI pointers.
● Fine tune user experience by configuring haptic feedback on Interactors and customizable Interactable events.
● Add professional polish to a project with VR-optimized audio and post processing effects
● Configure simple multi-user applications using Photon Unity Networking
Example 10-Day OutlineWeek 1 ( 4-hour days)
Session 1 – Setting up VR in Unity
Activity 1 – Configure and Build a Simple VR Project
Session 2 – Interactors and Interactables
Activity 2 + Office Hours – Capstone Project Kickoff
Session 3 – Locomotion in VR
Activity 3 – Teleportation Anchors
Session 4 – User Interfaces in VR
Activity 4 – Create Interactive Interfaces
Session 5 – Advanced Interactions in VR
Activity 5 + Office Hours – Create Advanced Interactions
Week 2 (4-hour days)
Session 6 – Audio and User Experience in VR
Activity 6 – Polish Interactions and Project Audio
Session 7 – Post Processing and Lighting
Activity 7 + Office Hours – Finalize and Build your Application
Session 8 – Multi-user Applications
Activity 8 – Test networking solution
Session 9 – Advanced Networking: User Avatars
Activity 9 – Fine tune and test networking
Session 10 – Capstone reviews
Activity 10 + Office Hours – Capstone Project Review
● VR-Ready PC (Minimum specifications below, but please double-check to ensure your PC meets the requirements specified by your VR Headset manufacturer)
○ Windows 7 64bit or more recent (Windows 10.1 recommended)
○ Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
○ GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970 or AMD R9 290 or greater
○ 8GB RAM or more (16GB recommended)
● VR Headset and Handheld Controllers , such as the following (6DOF, Room-scale)
○ Oculus Rift, Rift S
○ HTC Vive, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos
○ Windows Mixed Reality Headset (various)
○ Oculus Quest with Oculus Link cable
● Have Unity Hub and Unity 2019.3 installed
● Install any software or SDKs related to your VR Headset
○ Oculus Software for Oculus Headsets
○ Steam VR for HTC and WindowsMR headsets